I’ve been doing a bit of work on Neko Oyama lately. I forgot to take a before picture when I just had him primed, but I will go over the steps I’ve done so far. Before this point I did a base coat of the blue and added a few highlight and lowlight shades and a wash to make the angles and ridges stand out. I then added white on all the ridges to make them stand out.
Between these two pictures I did only three things. I added a glaze to make the teal just a little more blue. I added the base coat to his gun and underarms and inner thigh. I then did the first accent color on his shin guard belt and on the outside of his boots.
His color scheme will be very similar to the Domaru Butai that I recently finished, but I am still debating on the thigh pad and jacket colors. I may do a design on his thigh pads, but I’m not sure yet. I have time to think about it. Leave a comment on your ideas or let me know what you’ve done on your own minis.
The next step was to base coat his jacket red. Normally I go from lowest part of the Miniature to highest as far as details go. Not lowest in regards to height. I mean lowest part of the miniature texture in regards to texture, but I wanted to get the jacket done because I thought a glaze might spill over onto his knee pads.
The next step was to add a wash to all of the recessed parts of his cloak. I went heavier on the water than normal because I wanted his jacket to end up brighter than I have been painting the pants for Yojimbo. You can check it out there for reference.
Next I base coated his face and did his eyes. This is an old sculpt and it is not as highly detailed as some of the newer ones, but I did the best I could here.
Next I did a dark brown wash in the lines of his jacket to make it look more worn out.
Next I added my first highlight layer to the jacket. I wanted a major contrast in the colors.
The last thing I did on him tonight was to add some white highlights on all of the raised portions. It may have come out a bit more heavy handed than I normally prefer. I’ll have to come back and touch it up so that it is more in line with how I like it.
I really didn’t like how his coat looked so I started over. I went back over all of the highlights and did them over in a reddish color. I then added a medium brown color to his hair.
Next I painted his thigh guards a bright white color.
I’ve got these thigh guards into a great position to paint a cool design or make a stencil to put on there, but I haven’t decided yet what I want to do with that. I’ll think about it this week and decide on something later.
The last thing I did on him was to paint some low lights of a dark brown on the underside of all of the spikey bits of his hair and a highlight on all of the upper sides of the spikes. This added a bit more depth to his hair.
Next I did a wash on his thigh guards to make them look dirtier.
I added an orange highlight around his thigh guards to make they framed and look better.
I painted the straps on the sides brown and finished them off with a gold button on each one.
I finished today by painting the base coat on his Blade and on the hilts. I started white. I may add a colored shade on the hilts or just a dark brown to make them look weathered too. Currently they are too similar to the thigh guards, but I’ll change them shortly.