This format is different than what I’ve previously done. I am going to be adding a progression of my work throughout until it becomes one long post with all the steps from start to finish.
I have moved onto painting the dismounted model and rider. I have also decided to do these a little different than I was previously doing. I took a few more pictures along the way and I will explain what I was working on. You will see more pictures and more explanation of what I was doing along the way. You can find the finished bike here.
After priming the miniature, I applied a base coat of red and added a wash and some highlights and lowlights. I’m this next picture you’ll see that it looks pretty gnarly and bright pink. Bear with it because in the next step some magic happens.
After making him look horrible I add a glaze that is a mixture of Vallejo red and just a tiny bit of black. That stuff is strong so be careful. I applied it without diluting it at all.
Next I touched up the red just a little by doing the base color just a little on the flat surfaces that darkened just a little too much. This just helped the pants have a more even color.
Lastly I touched the highlights just a little on all the raised corners. It was mostly just to go over a few spots that dulled out just a little too much after my glaze from last time. And finally I added just a little orange on his shoes. The orange is what looks like a metal plate or something. I also did the straps around his boots off of the plate orange. I added a wash to give the shape of the shoe a bit more texture. I may have to add just a little more wash it doesn’t look like it took very deeply.
Now that his pants are mostly finished I am going to add the details in next week. I haven’t yet decided on a belt color, but I’m leaning away from the standard brown leather color, but we’ll see what I decide next week. Stay tuned for more updates.